Literacy & Learning Centers Tools, strategies, and downloadable lessons adapted specifically for the Literacy & Learning Centers model. Everything you need!
Subscribe below for access to lessons adapted specifically for the Literacy & Learning Centers model
Learning centers (often known as "rotations") are common in many primary level classrooms. But intermediate, middle and high school teachers have unique challenges, so Dr. Katherine McKnight has developed collaborative learning centers designed specifically for grade 4-12 learners.
Subscribe to Literacy & Learning Centers Resources for tools, tips, and activities that have been crafted specifically for centers.
for grades 4-12
Imagine your classroom as an interactive, collaborative meeting space where learning thrives. Your students actively and willingly participate in activities that develop content area knowledge and literacy skills simultaneously. You facilitate learning and cover more content in less time.
What is the Literacy & Learning Center model for
A Literacy &
Learning Centers cycle:
- Consists of a mini-lesson, guided practices, and centers
- Is built to develop clearly articulated learning goals and specific content knowledge
- Provides students plenty of individual and small group practice time.
- Works in conjunction with gradual release of responsibility
- Allows students to make choices
- Integrates formative assessment and individual attention into daily routine
In order to develop student literacy and provide adequate teacher support, foundational centers are almost always included in a cycle. Optional supplemental centers include: Grammar, Speaking & listening, and Creative Learning. Content-specific centers should be added as needed.
Literacy and Learning Centers Implementation Stages
How to begin implementing the
Literacy & Learning Centers model.
- 01 Adapt the
- 02 Introduce Activities
that Increase the
- 03 Assessment
I’m really impressed. There was so much more [student] engagement!
I’m feeling like this is a game changer.
– Stephanie Allen, 7th grade ELA teacher in Kennewick, WA
Tools, downloads, and strategies for educators
The Engaging Learners website is your source for lessons that have been specifically adapted to the Literacy & Learning Center model. Here you’ll find:
- Tools and activities for the supplemental centers
- Speaking & Listening
- Creative Learning
- Tips for creating your own teacher-led mini lessons and center activities
- Literacy & Learning Center planning templates
- Sample mini-lessons for large group instruction
- Tools and activities for the foundational centers
- Reading Together
- Writer’s Craft